CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Be The Change You Want To See

2 years ago my God-father's daughter was on the bus to school w her friends and as usual, they migrated to the back of the bus. Yes, it is sometimes the cool thing to do. The irony in all this went unnoticed until someone said 'Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat for us and now we insist on taking the backseat' -- or something like that, I paraphrase terribly.

I was semi-screening/semi-facebook stalking a tentative toaster for my best friend as her Internet in Nigeria is crap and came across a picture of MKO Abiola *if you do not know who that is, hide under a rock w Google for the next couple of hours*
Anyway, one thing led to another and I just kept reading up on a bunch of politicians/those involved in one way or the other in some political quest.
Most of them met embarrassing deaths at the hands of the military regime. I wonder at Nigeria's boldness. Even after Ken Saro-Wiwa's execution resulted in Nigeria's suspension from the Commonwealth of Nations they still no dey fear?

I can't talk anymore about the state of NEPA/PHCN. It is nothing but a joke and a camouflage.
I can't talk about the current strike. It must be frustrating not being able to plan your graduation party or future accurately because you have no idea when school will be in session and when it won't.
I can't talk about the crisis in the Niger-Delta or the fact that we import diluted/adulterated crude oil despite all the resources God has blessed us w.
I can't talk about the kidnapping in the East. Bar exaggeration, that region needs intercession. It is the norm to have 'mopole' drive w your children in the car because you do not have millions of Naira to give away to kidnappers.
I can't talk about the filth or the poverty.
I can't talk about water, or the lack thereof.
I can't talk about the corruption.
I can't talk about the terrible exchange rate.
I can't talk about the aviation industry and the fact that after 4 years, no one can still tell me what exactly was wrong w the plane that took my friends down.
These things give me a headache. And frankly, I am not going to lose my voice shouting over Nigeria, at least not tonight.

What I can do is pray.
Pray that if, not when, our generation is given the reins of power, we decide to be held accountable for our actions.
Pray that the hungry are fed, the homeless are noticed.
Pray that the lecturers are paid.
Pray that there is no longer a need for generators.
Pray that we capitalize on natural resources other than Crude Oil, the Agricultural sector perhaps?
Pray that we can go back to the glory days our parents never cease to talk about, when $1 = N0.70 or so
Pray that Ken Saro Wiwa, Kudirat Abiola, Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola, Dele Giwa and those who fought for democracy did not die in vain.
Pray that the loved ones of the Ibo's killed during the Biafran war will never again be given a reason as much as desire to break away from Nigeria.
Pray that we bring forth leaders and not looters.

EFCC might not indict you, but God will, so don't be fooled.

xxx's and Jesus loves you! :D

3 comments:

48 said...

That's my best Gandhi quote:)

I totally hear you! We can only pray to God to remove the reproach from our country and to renew in us the right attitude and mentality towards leadership.

bob-ij said...

yeah b! we can only pray and hope for the best!
x!

Good Naija Girl said...

This was a beautifully articulated message. I must add Nigeria to my prayers.