CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 15, 2010

HAITI

This is the most I have ever blogged in one day, lol but both my classes for today were canceled so I am free-ish! Yes, school is back in session *sigh*
This also means that my Family has left for Nigeria. Sad times. I miss them so much! The older we get the less time we have to spend together.
This Christmas was so beautiful. My sister's graduation was a success, God is faithful, don't let them deceive you.
This year I'm chasing after God, along with a host of other resolutions, like going to the gym 5 times a week. I must say, so far so good w the gym part, lol. I decided to read the book of Romans and I am doing that with a friend. It is mostly so we encourage each other and make sure the other person is not slacking. Today I read Chapter 1. I loved so many of the verses, had my highlighter in hand and all! But mostly verse 21 which says, "For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened."
Why do we think we know more than the one who created us? I immediately flipped to James 2:19 which says, "You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that - and shudder."
Knowing something is not enough. Sometimes we pride ourselves on how much you know, but that can only get you so far. Psalm 111:10 says "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" and Proverbs 1:7 replaces the word 'wisdom' with 'knowledge'.
I know there is a God, but sometimes I do not fear Him enough to make out time for Him. Not 5 minutes when I'm on the metro, or 10 when I'm in the loo, or a quick prayer before an exam, but the best of my time. Time I could be using to watch a movie, read a novel, gist with a friend, facebook or tweet. The best that I have, that's what He deserves, and even more.
So as we make our new year resolutions, let us remember to reverence God and respect the work of His hands, His creation. And let us remember that it is not enough to KNOW there is a God...that alone won't get you into heaven.

On another note, I am tired of reading the news because as more and more unfolds about the situation in Haiti it just gets more disheartening. So instead of talking or reading about it, I am praying for them. Please do that as well, not in the cliched way, but pray as if you really want God to do something about it. Then act! Actions speak louder than words:
Donate here or here or here
Be your brother's keeper...without expecting anything in return.
Love, Xxx

4 comments:

Good Naija Girl said...

Happy New Year! I want to commend you on the resolutions you have started working on. Gym 5 times a week is really impressive! And getting closer to God is such a worthy resolution. I keep telling myself that if I can find all this time in my day to read or write blogs, how can I not put God ahead of all that. I have to get my act together...thanks for the reminder.

Lolia said...

I didn't go to the gym today! Instead I went to lunch and got a bacon and swiss omelette and the pound cake and ice cream :9

Princess said...

Haha I read this and I hadn't gone to the gym today yet, so I was motivated to get myself out of bed, just got back :)
My Mum gave me a speech and said I should pray for discipline if exercise is something I want to fit into my schedule. But thanks love, and Happy New Year to you too!
I always hear that we get out of our relationship w God how much we put into it. So how much do you desire Him? Good luck!

Princess said...

:o Lolia you're back????????? :D
You bum. *bbm thumbs down emoticon @ Ice cream AND bacon*